Saturday, January 24, 2009

If the House is a Rockin'.....

...then find the smallest room or closet nearest you and take cover.

Yesterday I experienced another earthquake. The last two were not that impressive so I really don't count them in the whole experience, but last night's earthquake was both a little disturbing and a lot exciting.

At first, I thought the neighbors just slammed their door too hard but when the rattling turned to shaking, I figured out what was going on. It only lasted about 5-7 seconds and nothing fell off the wall or got broken, but it was a neat experience. And being the geeky Earth science teacher that I am, you know I got online as soon as it was over to find out all the details of my experience. This one was a 3.4 and located less than a mile from my house. Since it wasn't very deep, I'm sure we felt more shaking here than anywhere else.

So there you have it, earthquakes in LA. Now, if only I could be here when the big one happens....

No comments: