Friday, May 2, 2008
Derby Day
So I decided to try and introduce my friends here in SoCal to some of the long held traditions of Kentucky by having my very own Kentucky Derby Party. However, I have since learned that the people of SoCal do not care about the Derby as much as I do because most of my friends have made other plans. Only a select few have chosen to experience a small taste of Kentucky with me this weekend.
That is fine.
They do not understand the rich tradition and prestige behind the Kentucky Derby. They have not experienced the beauty of the horse farms or spent countless hours at Keeneland taking in the atmosphere and betting on the favorite to win. They have never felt the goosebumps race over their arms as the horses come around the turn, down the stretch toward the finish line. They have not tasted a true Kentucky Derby Pie or a freshly made mint julep. They have no idea what burgoo is, or what it tastes like.
Well, they are going to miss out on the singing of "My Old Kentucky Home" and the sound of the bugle as they call the horses to the post. They will miss out on the excitement of picking a horse and praying it wins, places or shows. They will miss out on the derby pie I made and the mint juleps I will be consuming. They will be missing the excitement of the announcer calling the race as fast as he can.
They will be missing the best two minutes in sports.
It is too bad that not everyone could grow up in a place surrounded by beautiful horse farms and rich traditions. Only then can you truly appreciate the beauty and importance of the Kentucky Derby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment